Did you know it's National Poetry Month?
Well, dear reader, it is! So celebrate by doing one or perhaps all of the following to give notice to this auspicious occasion:
1) Write a poem--This is paradoxically a simple and complex task to accomplish, but give it the old college try. What's the worst that could happen? Creating a mythical chimera rather than a free verse poem?
2) Attend an open mic--For anyone in Greenville, I highly recommend the open mics held at Coffee Underground in downtown Greenville.
3) Read some poetry--You'll find poems scattered all over this earth in British literature textbooks, on the Internet (I'd personally recommend seeking the advice of my friend Google), in a bookstore hidden away in the corner shelf, in an old journal of English writings you were forced to keep for a senior portfolio...the list can go on infinitely.
4) Watch some performance poetry videos by Andrea Gibson or Taylor Mali.
5) Give a pat on the back to poet--It's a harder job than you think.
I hope you all get a chance to enjoy National Poetry Month. Big shout out to PRA Publishing and the Aiken Standard for the article in today's newspaper about National Poetry Month!